When bilirubin is found during a urine test, further investigation is required to ascertain your true health status.
Using a urine test is a quick and inexpensive way to check for bilirubin in your
urine, and is one of our test kit products that can be done in the privacy of
Normal bilirubin range in urine
Bilirubin levels in urine
- Hemoglobin (haemoglobin) breakdown results in bilirubin production. In the liver, bilirubin is conjugated to an acid to make conjugated bilirubin.
- Unconjugated bilirubin is water soluble and can therefore be excreted in urine.
Abnormal bilirubin values may indicative of
- Pre-hepatic (unconjugated bilirubin therefore does not appear in urine)
- excessive breakdown of RBC
- obstruction of biliary duct
- toxic liver damage
Further action required if bilirubin is found in urine
- Investigate further for cause of the bilirubin.
Our bilirubin urine test strip
- The test is based on the reaction of bilirubin with a diazonium salt. Since bilirubin is absent in normal urine any positive result, including a trace, indicates an underlying pathological condition and requires further investigation.
- The presence of bilirubin derived bile pigments may mask the bilirubin reaction. This phenomena is characterized by any color development on the test patch that does not correlate with the colors on the color chart.
- Large concentrations of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) may decrease sensitivity.
- Sensitivity: 9 umol/dl bilirubin
- Active reagent: nitroaniline (0,8% w/w)
How you benefit from our test strips
Our very affordable 10-in-1 test strips will check your urine for bilirubin, urobilinogen, glucose, ketones, protein, blood, pH, nitrite, leucocytes as well as specific gravity. To view our test kit, and to purchase this very affordable test strips, please click here.
Each of these parameters are indicative of different health problems. For further information, please click the links below:
Other pages of interest
Our home test kits
|Urine test strips - testing for: |
:: Blood / Hemoglobin
:: Specific gravity
Breast Aware (breast examination pad)
Alcohol breathalyzer (disposable)
Ovulation tests (testing fertility periods or periods when you won't conceive)
|Malaria test kit - testing for:|
:: Plasmodium falciparum (Pf)
:: Plasmodium vivax (Pv)
:: Plasmodium ovale (Po)
:: Plasmodium malariae (Pm)
Prostate test (PSA test)
HIV test /Aids test (testing for HIV 1 and 2 antibodies)
Drug test (5-in-1 assay) testing for:
:: Cocaine (crack and cocaine derivatives)
:: THC (marijuana, weed, grass, hashish etc)
:: Amphetamines (speed, uppers, base)
:: Opiates (morphine, opium, heroin)
:: Methamphetamines (meth, ice, e, ecstasy)